AboutI'm an independent researcher working on global priorities research, with particular emphasis on longtermism and cultural evolution. Recently I've also been spending much of my time thinking about artificial intelligence.
Previously, I worked at the Forethought Foundation where I did research for Will MacAskill's book What We Owe The Future. I completed my PhD in philosophy at the London School of Economics in 2018, with a dissertation on Bayesian epistemology and normative uncertainty.
You can contact me at vallinder at gmail dot com.
- Longtermism and Cultural Evolution.
forthcoming in Jacob Barrett, Hilary Greaves, and David Thorstad (eds.), Essays in Longtermism. Oxford University Press.
- The Evidentialist's Wager.
The Journal of Philosophy 118 (6):320-342. (w/ Will MacAskill, Caspar Oesterheld, Carl Shulman, and Johannes Treutlein).
- Imprecise Bayesianism and Global Belief Inertia.
British Journal for the Philosophy of Science 69(4):1205-1230, 2018.
- Trust and the Value of Overconfidence.
Synthese 191(13):1991-2007, 2014 (w/ Erik J. Olsson).
- Norms of Assertion and Communication in Social Networks.
Synthese 190(13):2557-2571, 2013 (w/ Erik J. Olsson).
- Do Computer Simulations Support the Argument from Disagreement?
Synthese 190(8):1437-1454, 2013 (w/ Erik J. Olsson).
- Bayesian Variations: Essays on the Structure, Object, and Dynamics of Credence.
PhD Thesis, London School of Economics, 2018.